Call for Nutrition Matters Partners
This application is now closed.
In order to expand the impact of the Nutrition Matters initiative the United Way of Passaic County is seeking to partner with non-profit early childhood centers in Passaic County to replicate the Nutrition Matters curriculum, through a combination of grant funding and in-kind support provided through this Request for Proposals.
The purpose of Nutrition Matters is to provide preschool children and their parents with valuable education about healthy lifestyles and hands-on experiences through classroom- and home-based activities. Nutrition Matters is a ten-week nutrition and physical education program comprised of nutrition education, food preparation and physical education lessons targeted at preschoolers and their parents. Research shows that children in early childhood and care settings develop attitudes towards nutrition and physical activity that persist into older childhood and adulthood. The Nutrition Matters initiative presents a tremendous opportunity to prevent obesity by providing education on healthy and active lifestyles for young children and their families.
• Non-profit Organization exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
• Early Childhood Education or Care Center location in Passaic County
• Organizations must be licensed child care centers by the New Jersey Department of Children and Families
• Organizations must have facilities to prepare food and provide physical fitness instruction on site
• Organizational history and capacity providing nutrition and physical fitness education
• Staff capacity and experience providing nutrition and physical fitness education
• Capacity to engage parent population
• Organizational capacity and experience collecting and tracking outcome data
• Meets UWPC administrative and governance criteria for funded organizations (see attached)
Three to four awards of $7,000 - $15,000
It is estimated that a Nutrition Matters program cycle costs $7,000 - $8,000 to implement and serve 20 families
Organizations can propose to implement up to two program cycles
Key Dates and Deadlines
• June 18, 2012 - Application Due to United Way of Passaic County
• July 23, 2012 – Notification of Award
• August 2012 – Execution of Funding Agreement
• August 2012 – Agency Orientation and Training
• September 1, 2012 – Commencement of Funding Contract
One Complete Electronic Copy of the application package and supporting documents
must be submitted to United Way of Passaic County
by 4pm on June 18, 2012 to Luciana@Unitedwaypassaic.org.
Late applications will not be accepted.
To view the presenation provided at the May 29th Informational Meeting Click Here
To view Frequently Asked Question for this application Click Here
To view a sample budget for Nutrition Matters Click Here
Inquires should be directed to:
Luciana Rufolo, Program Grants Manager
Phone: 973-279-8900 ext 201